Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Sketchy Women



After several months of neglect, I finally decided to acquaint myself with my recently purchased Motion Computing Tablet PC. Although I had doodled a few minutes at a time on a few of the drawing and painting programs I have loaded on my machine, I hadn't really sat down and got down to the business of doing some serious digital drawing. So I opened up Sketchbook Pro and started playing around with some of the tools. Oh how I love the custom brush tool! Being able to create a brush that responds and acts exactly the way you want it to was a revelation! And having the ability to have multiple undos and several saved versions of a drawing was an added bonus! My first drawings here are of Jane Greer as Kathie Moffat in Jacques Tourneur's Out of the Past...probably one of the most bad-ass femme fatales to walk all over a man in film noir history. I didn't capture much of a likeness, but I was happy that the versatility of drawing digitally had the effect of helping me loosen up a little. I took my tablet to a life drawing session at Los Feliz Life Drawing Workshop last night (http://myspace.com/losfelizlifedrawing ) and started doing gesture sketches with it, but by the time we got to the longer poses, my battery was wearing down, and I had to switch to my backup, a sketchpad and a ball point pen. Here are a couple of those sketches.

-Anson


No comments: