Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Beyond Our Borders (Part 1)

Over the years, I've managed to collect a lot of really excellent comic art and illustration from all over the world. While a good number of these foreign publications make it your local US retailer, there are quite a few that don't. I thought I'd share with you a few samples from my own collection that I think are some of the best around.



I visited China a few years ago, and while browsing in a bookstore, I stumbled across this book, which is a full-color, beautifully illustrated collection of 120 Chinese maidens. Luckily, I got the last one. There were so many incredible images in this book, I had trouble picking which ones to include in the blog.









L'Association consistently publishes some of the best comics being made today. Francois Ayroles' "Notes Mesopotamiennes" is no exception. This comic caught my eye at a party that took place in the Last Gasp warehouse in San Francisco during APE a few years back. There was only one copy, but one look and I knew I had to buy this. Francois Ayroles artwork is spare and each panel is brilliantly composed. A great inspiration for any comic artist.





By the way, if any of you out there can read French or Chinese and would care to translate, please feel free!

-Anson

No comments: